Wicken is a pretty village some six miles Southwest of Towcester and three miles Northwest of Stony Stratford. The history of the village can be traced back to before the Doomsday book. The village has a thriving community and has football, tennis, cricket and archery clubs. There is a village hall, St John the Evangelist C of E Church and primary and secondary schooling in nearby Deanshanger. There are comprehensive shopping facilities in nearby Stony Stratford and excellent main line rail facilities at Milton Keynes, just six miles away. The M1 motorway and M40 are both within ten miles and the A5 just a few minutes’ drive. http://www.wickennorthants.co.uk
The earliest archeological remains for the area are a prehistoric ring ditch, although the first identified settlement is a small Roman settlement on the edge of the modern village. The modern village dates from Saxon times and is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
During the Middle Ages, it seems to have functioned as two villages separated by two villages: Wick Dive and Wick Hamon separated by a stream and both in separate manors.
In 1511 the two manors were purchased by John Spencer of Snitterfield, Warwicks., whose grandson, Sir John Spencer of Wormleighton, secured in 1587, the union of Wick Dive and Wick Hamon into one parish.
An episode of the Channel 4 TV programme Time Team featured multiple archaeological digs in Wicken and researched its history. The archeologists concluded that Wick Hamon, adjoining the Roman site was the older of the two villages by two centuries, and that the pre-existing (or abandoned) Roman settlement attracted the Saxons to that location.
The modern Name of Wicken dates from the 1587 union of the two manors. The names of the two earlier villages derive from the name of respective land lords. The wealthier Wick Dive takes its name from William de Dive, who acquired it in 1242, while Wick Hamon derives from the de Hamon family, who held the estate in the 12th century.
The Wick portion is either derived from the Saxon Word Wick for farm, or the Roman 'vicus', for settlement, often associated with an adjacent Roman garrison, farm or centre of industry. This is the most likely origin of the name here.The current Parish Church in Wicken, St.John the Evangelist, was the parish church of Wyke Dyve which together with Wyke Hamon formed what is now the village of Wicken.The two parishes were amalgamated in 1587 when the parish church of Wyke Hamon, St.James, ceased to be used. The church itself was then allowed to fall into disrepair and it is believed was demolished in 1619.
St Johns Church
History of Wicken Village Hall
Wicken Village Hall was originally the Village School and was built in the late 19th Century by the Penrhyn family who owned Wicken Park Estate. The Hall is a characterful Victorian building with a bell-tower that is still operational and the School’s Role of Honour board still hangs in the Hall.
In 1975 the Hall was sold to Wicken Parish Council for use as a Village Hall.
The Hall is available for hire for public events, private parties, lectures, film shows, clubs and meetings.
Catering can be carried out on site in the newly fitted kitchen and modern tables and chairs can accommodate up to 100 people.
The recently planted rear garden is an ideal venue for summer parties, barbecues and similar functions.
On-site parking is available for ten cars, with further parking available on nearby village roads.
The main hall size is 13 metres x 6 metres and the rear hall is 6 metres x 6 metres.
Wicken Village Hall is located opposite St Johns Church, in the heart of Wicken, Northamptonshire, which also borders Buckinghamshire. Wicken is closely located to Central Milton Keynes (approx 14 miles), Buckingham (approx 5.5 miles) and not too far from Northampton town centre (approx 17 miles).
For all hires or enquiries about bookings, please contact:
Christine Williams: 01908 571404
Sandra Bishop: 07825 233099