MAIDFORD is a rural village about 6 miles to the north-west of Towcester and 19 miles to the north of Milton Keynes, from where there is a 40 minute Intercity train service to London Euston. The market town of Banbury is some 16 miles to the west with access to the M40 junction 11. The village is surrounded by unspoilt countryside which is in the heart of the Grafton Hunting country. There are no shopping facilities in the village but nearby Towcester and Daventry offer a wide range of shops and leisure centres with more comprehensive facilities available at Milton Keynes, Northampton and Banbury. A mobile butcher/greengrocer, and fishmonger call weekly. There is a parish church and village hall. Sporting facilities in the area include golf at Farthingstone, horse racing at Towcester and motor racing at Silverstone. Beauty spots include Everdon Stubbs, Badby Woods and Silverstone Forest. http://maidfordvillage.co.uk
The village dates back to before medieval times, Maidford was mentioned in the Saxon Geld Roll and again in the Doomsday Book as the settlement of Meredford Manor, being part of the Foxeslea Hundred and covering an area of around 300 acres. The name literally means, where “ maids meet to ford a river” or in other words a gathering place. By the 12th Century it had become Maydeford Manor and was then situated within the Norton Hundred and in 1264 the title of Lord of the Manor was passed to the family of Lord Zouche of Ashby. The land in the manor was acquired in 1250 by Thomas Kynne of Northampton and remained in this family until 1452 when it was acquired by the Trist (or Tryst) family who retained ownership until 1748.
Church of St Peter & St Paul
The Grade II Starred listed church of St Peter & St Paul has a distinctive “saddle-back” roof to its tower and the records for the church show that the first rector was appointed in 1219. The church yard has many fine mature trees, including a group of "copper beech" planted as a memorial to the men from the village who gave their lives in World War I.
The newly refurbished Village Hall is available for hire for private parties and functions etc. There is access for the disabled. The hall can accommodate 60 people and has a well equipped kitchen. There is onsite parking.