Horton lies 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Northampton and about 8 miles (13 km) north of Newport Pagnell on the B526. The village a boasts the New French Partridge Restaurant, originally as a seventeenth-century country manor and coaching Inn and the 13th Century Norman church dedicated to St Mary Magdelene. There is also a cricket club and in nearby Hackleton, a post office and village stores and public house.
Hereditary surnames were popular in England after the Norman conquest and most were derived from the place-names of their family estates, whether in France or England. One such recorded is that of Richard de Horton from Northamptonshire, in 1255.
The first house and estate were owned by William, Lord Parr of Horton - the same family that Catherine Parr came from. She was the last of the six wives of Henry VIII of England. Parr's daughter, Maud, married Sir Ralph Lane and they had five sons including: Sir Ralph, Sir Robert, Sir Parr and Sir William, the latter commemorated in the church.
The last house had originally belonged to a branch of the Montagus (who held the Earldom of Halifax for two generations). Charles Montagu, 1st Earl of Halifax KG, PC, FRS (16 April 1661 – 19 May 1715) was an English poet and statesman, one of the Commissioners of the Treasury, a member of the Privy Council and Chancellor of the Exchequer. At the accession of George I, he was made Viscount Sunbury and Earl of Halifax, with remainder to heirs male, a Knight of the Garter, and First Lord of the Treasury. The Gunnings purchased the estate in 1782 and the family stayed at Horton until 1888 when the 5th Baronet sold it to Pickering Phipps of the brewing family. Later it was sold to George Winterbottom but it was demolished in 1936 However, some of its out-buildings remain, many Grade II listed: the Green Bridge; The Ice House and the New Temple, which has an Ionic portico with a pulvinated frieze - and is thought be early Georgian in date.
Horton House in 1830
• The Menagerie, turned into a house is Grade II* listed. This is a one storey building with corner pavilions and a raised central area. The surrounding windows are in the style of the architect James Gibbs. The work has most recently been attributed to Thomas Wright, the astronomer, who undertook work for Lord Halifax after 1739.
• The Arches, also Grade II. These are made up of a tri-partite triumphal archway with Ionic pilasters.
• Two Victorian gate lodges, see image in infobox top right
• Red brick stable block, c18th century'
Near the Menagerie is an old fish pond dating back several centuries and what are thought to be the remains of a Norman motte-and-bailey can be found in the fields behind the Menagerie. There are rumoured to be a series of tunnels from the Menagerie towards the Ice House and elsewhere.
St Mary Magdalene Church
Horton House Cricket Club