Grafton Regis lies approximately 4½ miles north of Old Stratford off the A508. It is excellently positioned for access with the M1 at Junctions 14 and 15. The village, which consist of predominantly stone built properties, has a pub/restaurant and church with more comprehensive shopping available in Stony Stratford and Milton Keynes. Although the village is very small, with a population of around 100, they have major historical links. In the 12th and 13th centuries, Grafton belonged to the Abbey of Grestain in France. In the 15th century, Elizabeth Woodville, the Queen of Edward IV, was born and was married there. In the 16th century, Henry VIII spent most of the summers of his reign in Grafton and expanded the manor house into a palace.
St Mary the Virgin Church St. Mary the Virgin at Grafton Regis is one of five churches in the Blisworth benefice. The benefice consists of the parishes of: Blisworth, Milton Malsor, Stoke Bruerne and Shutlanger, Alderton and Grafton Regis.The original building on the site of St Mary the Virgin was built in the Norman times and is recorded as early as 1189. Very little remains of the original building as it has been extended, built up and generally tinkered with through the centuries.
The History of Grafton Regis
The village of Grafton is mentioned in the Domesday book as Grastone. The Church of St Mary the Virgin has dominated the skyline of Grafton for almost a thousand years and has seen many famous personalities who have been associated with the village over the centuries.
Henry VIII Sir Francis Crane 1st Duke of Grafton Elizabeth Woodville Vice Admiral Fitzroy
During the 12th and 13th centuries, Grafton belonged to the Abbey of Grestain in France.
From the twelfth century, the Woodville (Wydville) family lived at Grafton, which for a time was known as Grafton Woodville. In 1464, Edward IV married Elizabeth Woodville in secret in Grafton, probably at the Hermitage, the remains of which can be seen buried in a field to the west of the A508.
Edward and Elizabeth’s grandson Henry VIII acquired the manor house, greatly expanded it, and spent most of the summers of his reign there. It was Henry’s decision to call the village Grafton Regis. On its passing to Elizabeth I, the house had a series of famous tenants, including William Cecil, Lord Burghley, Elizabeth’s Lord Treasurer and right-hand man, and the Queen’s favourites Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex.
William Shakespeare’s friend and patron Henry Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton, was interested in buying Grafton House at the end of the sixteenth century. Many years later, at the beginning of the twentieth century, a painting known as the Grafton Portrait of Shakespeare was discovered to have spent 250 years in a cottage in the village following its rescue from Grafton House during the Civil War siege of Christmas 1643. Sir Francis Crane’s widow was living in the House at the time of the siege.
Admiral Robert FitzRoy was one of the distinguished members of the family of the Dukes of Grafton, whose association with the village dates back to the creation of the dukedom in the seventeenth century.
The White Hart Pub
The village benefits from this small 16th century stone, thatched property which is well regarded for its fine home cooked food.
Opening hours for food:
Monday Closed all day
Tuesdays 12 till 2 & 6 till 9.30
Wednesdays 12 till 2 & 6 till 9.30
Thursdays 12 till 2 & 6 till 9.30
Fridays 12 till 2 & 6 till 9.30
Saturdays 12 till 2 & 6 till 9.30
Sundays 12 till 2 & 7 till 8.45
Further information, menus and reservations please review the www.pubgraftonregis.co.uk
The Fish Man
The Fish Man, Keith Wright, delivers fish, providing a door to door service to the people of the village via Grimsby.
The Fish Man visits the following villages on Tuesdays:
Roade 08:00-12:30 Stoke Bruerne 12:30-13:00
Grafton Regis 13:00-13:30 Yardley Gobion 13:30-14:00
Mobile Library Services
Northamptonshire County Council provides a mobile library service to the village. The service visits Grafton every second Wednesday of the month, starting from Wednesday 10th August. The library van calls between 13:15 - 13:45.
Stagecoach operate the X4 hourly service from Peterborough to Milton Keynes and all manner of places in between.
For further information about the service and a copy of the timetable please see www.stagecoachbus.com/northamptonshire-X4.aspx
Milk & More
Milk and More is the 21st century equivalent of the traditional milk man
operated by Dairy Crest. You can order all of your everyday essentials direct to your door step. For more information please visit www.milkandmore.co.uk/home
Bill Newton Dunn, the MEP for the East Midlands
Bill Newton is a Member of the European Parliament for the East Midlands. Please refer to Bill's website for further information. Bill also publishes a seasonal newsletter called "Bill's Bulletin" with all the latest news from the European Parliament. Bill's Bulletin can be found www.newton-dunn.com
South Northants Area Support Team for Neighbourhood Watch www.snast.co.uk
For more up to date information and what’s on visit www.grafton-regis.co.uk