The village of Blisworth, by-passed by the A43, is approximately 4 miles south of Northampton and 4 miles north east of Towcester. M1 junction 15A is approximately 3 miles distant. Milton Keynes, with a British Rail Intercity service to (London Euston 40 minutes), is approximately 12 miles distant. Village facilities include a primary school, a mini market, post office, public house, and parish church. Sporting facilities in the area include horse racing at Towcester, motor racing at Silverstone, golf at Collingtree and leisure centres at Towcester and nearby East Hunsbury. There are two theatres and many restaurants in Northampton and the nearby village of Stoke Bruerne is well known for the canal and the waterways museum.
http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images has much history about this popular village with many historical photos and information.
The village has its own primary school, Blisworth Community Primary School, with around 200 children. http://www.blisworth.northants.sch.uk/ The school takes in a number of children from surrounding areas including the southern outskirts of Northampton. The local secondary school is Elizabeth Woodville School with sites in Roade and Deanshanger. Apart from Blisworth, the catchment area includes Collingtree, Hardingstone, Hackleton, Stoke Bruerne and several other villages.
There is a small well-stocked supermarket/post-office/newsagent and a modern well-equipped doctor's surgery in Stoke Road serving several surrounding villages as well as Blisworth itself.
The village has a pub, The Royal Oak. A second pub, The Sun, Moon and Stars, near the canal closed at least 50 years ago. A third pub, the Grafton Arms, is now a private dwelling. There is also a hotel - "The Walnut Tree Inn" - which was the original Blisworth Station Hotel. It is opposite the site of the former station.
There is an annual Canal Festival held in the village every August to help elebrate the part that the canal has played in Blisworth's history. This festival is organised by the Blisworth Canal Partnership who's aims are to promote, maintain and improve Blisworth's Canal environment.
The A43 (Northampton-Oxford) Milton Malsor and Blisworth by-pass was opened on 21 May 1991. The by-pass runs to the west of the two villages, now following a newly-created route from Tiffield. The road joins the M1 London to Yorkshire motorway at a new junction created at that time, 15A, at West Hunsbury, Northampton. From Northampton to Blisworth the by-pass closely follows the trackbed of the Blisworth to Northampton railway, long since closed. The new road makes a slight detour near the Northampton arm of the canal at the 'staircase' of locks near Rothersthorpe. The road's construction followed many years of long campaigns in the two villages.
The London and Birmingham Railway, under the surveying and construction control of Robert Stephenson, bypassed Northampton and opened a station in Blisworth in 1839. In 1842, after much discussion, Lord Grafton agreed to fundnew station as long as it was a "first class" station - i.e., all trains stopped at it. Ford Lane became Station Road, the location of Blisworth station. In 1845 a branch line on to Peterborough was completed via Northampton, and in 1866 a single-track line was built to Banbury. Blisworth station closed in January 1960 and both branch lines have also long since gone. The main railway line remains, electrified in the 1960s and is now part of the West Coast Main Line running 125 mph trains from London Euston to Glasgow. The Northampton Loop of the line leaves the main line at Roade, north of Roade cutting and just south of Blisworth, taking trains on into Northampton and further north to re-join the main line at Rugby. The Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway ran from Blisworth station south to Towcester, Banbury and Stratford upon Avon but closed in the 1960s. Much of the infrastructure such as cuttings and bridges remain along the route.
Blisworth Station Hotel: opposite the site of the former Blisworth station is the former Blisworth Station Hotel, now called the 'Walnut Tree Inn', built by Richard Dunkley for Thomas Shaw, the proprietor of the former Angel Hotel at 23 Bridge Street in Northampton. http://www.walnut-tree.co.uk
Many traditional Northamptonshire local stone cottages, often thatched, and other buildings line the Towcester and Stoke Roads. All, including the following, are private houses for viewing from public roads and paths only:
Grafton House, Towcester Road (1797)
Village Hall, Stoke Road. The original school building (rebuilt 1799 after fire)
Blisworth House, Church Lane (rebuilt 1702)
Blisworth Stone Works, Stoke Road (c.1821)
The Old Toll House, Blisworth Arm (c.1800)
Grafton Villas, Northampton Road, near the railway bridge (built 1820)
The Rectory, west of the church (1841)
Stoneacres, Stoke Road, one of the best examples in the county of enthusiastic use of local materials with bands of limestone and sandstone.