Biddlesden is a village in north west Buckinghamshire, on the border with Northamptonshire. It is situated about 3 miles to the north east of Brackley and five miles north west of Buckingham. The River Ouse forms part of the western boundary of the parish and the ancient royal forest of Whittlewood extended to the northern border of the village. The village name is Anglo-Saxon and means either house in a valley or Byttel's valley. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the village was recorded as Betesdene. In the early medieval period, Biddlesden was the site of an important Cistercian abbey, founded in 1147 by Ernald de Bosco. The abbey was seized by King Henry VIII during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Although the abbey continued after this time as living accommodation for those in favour with the monarch the building wasn't maintained thoroughly and fell into disrepair.
By the 18th century the abbey was in ruins and was finally demolished in 1727. The house of Biddlesden Park was built on the site of the abbey and small remains of the abbey can still be seen in the gardens today. Biddlesden Park is an archetypical English Country estate with a grand Georgian country house, farmhouse, lodge cottages, coach house, farmland, woodland, lakes and parkland. The house is listed Grade II* and retains many original features including plaster work, wood panelling, door and window casing etc. The current owner extensively refurbished the house when it was purchased in the 1980's. The village is surrounded by lovely countryside with the River Ouse forming part of the western boundary of the parish.
There is a village shop, school and public house in neighbouring Syresham. The A43 links both the M1 and M40 motorways. Rail links to London are from Bicester and Milton Keynes.
St Margaret of Scotland is a church serving the tiny village of Biddlesden. Attached to Biddlesden Park it is the only place of worship in the village and aims to provide a place where people of all ages and all backgrounds can feel welcome. Because of its position in the grounds of Biddlesden Park, access must be arranged via the Vicar or churchwarden.
Please visit the West Buckingham Churches website for further details and events