Potterspury lies approximately 3 miles north of Old Stratford off the A5. The village has local facilities with more comprehensive shopping available in Stony Stratford and Milton Keynes. Road communications to Milton Keynes are excellent and the M1 can be accessed at junction 14 south of Milton Keynes or at junction 15 at Collingtree which is just south of Northampton. There is an excellent Intercity rail service at Milton Keynes.
The village at one time had at least five or six public houses but now only two remain. The Anchor has been demolished. The Reindeer is an antique shop, and the Red Lion and The Blue ball are private houses. Four of these premises were on the Watling Street but now only The Talbot remains as a hostelry on this road. The Cock public house is in the High Street.
The village was originally called Pyrie or Estpirie (East Perey), derived from 'pyrige' meaning 'the place where pear tree grow'. Following the introduction of potteries in the 12th century the name was changed to Potters Perry or Potterspury. Several of these ancient potteries have been excavated in recent years.
St Nicholas Church
It is not known when a church was first built in the village but there has been one on the same site since at least 1086 when the Domesday Book was compiled. It has been altered and rebuilt several times throughout the centuries. A major alteration was carried out in 1848 at a cost of £3,000; the architect was Richard Hussey of Birmingham and the work was carried out by Richard Dunkley of Blisworth.
The Old Talbot
Old Talbot at Potterspury has more than changed hands, it has been transformed to everything you would want in a country public house. A bright and airy feel and a good selection of beers, lagers, ciders and stouts on draught.
Post office limited
100A High Street
0845 722 3344