PAULERSPURY is a village situated just off the A5 some 3 miles south east of Towcester. The facilities include a Church, public house, restaurant and hotel and school. Towcester offers day to day shopping facilities whilst Milton Keynes, some 10 miles to the south, has one of the largest shopping complexes in Europe. There is a good, fast rail service from Milton Keynes to London Euston (40 minutes) and the A5 road gives easy access to the major road network. Sporting facilities in the area include golf at Farthingstone and Whittlebury, horse racing at Towcester, and motor racing at Silverstone.
1670-71 Much of the manor was sold off in parcels of land, leaving only the manor house and former park.
1673 Edward sold the estate to Sir Benjamin Bathurst, a London merchant, whose son Allen was subsequently ennobled.
1732 Lord Bathurst and his son recovered much of the manor which had been sold 60 years previously.
1740 Lord Bathurst mortgaged the manor for the sum of £6000 and re-mortgaged it 4 years later for a total of £12,000.
1805 Henry, the third Earl, sold the manor to Robert Shedden, a London merchant.
1820s The manor house was probably demolished about this time.
1877 By this time the estate consisted only of Paulerspury Park Farm, comprising 386 acres in Paulerspury and 200 acres in Whittlebury.
1920 George Shedden, a descendant of Robert, sold the farm to the sitting tenant, Thomas Roddis, who a few years later sold it to Edgar Eales, he was described as Lord of the Manor up to the Second World War.
The children at Paulerspury C.E. School are supported in their learning by dedicated staff, governors and parents.
Phone: 01327 811674
Fax: 01327 811674
St James the Great, Paulerspury
The church building dates back to the 12th century and is large compared to the size of the village now. It is built in the decorated style, with north and south aisles separated from the clerestoried nave by five bay arcades. Just inside the south door stands the Norman font. The base and cover is Victorian.
The tower houses 6 bells and a Sanctus bell. Five of the peal of bells are 17th century, while the treble was added in 1946 as a memorial to the fallen in the Second World War and a thanksgiving for those who returned.
Doctor Hooker and partners
6a Lumber lane surgery,
Tel: 01327 811630
Rolls Royce Enthusiast Club – Paulerspury Section
To get in contact with the Rolls Royce Enthusiast Club: Email The Chairman Chris Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit rrecpaulerspury.org.uk