Gayton is about 5 miles south-west of Northampton and is surrounded by unspoilt countryside. The Grand Union Canal passes within half a mile and Junction 15A of the M1 is approximately 3 miles away. Sporting facilities in the area include horse racing at Towcester, motor racing at Silverstone, golf at Whittlebury, sailing and fishing at Pitsford. The village is located on a high outcrop of Northamptonshire sandstone with extensive views, at the edge of the village, to the north-west towards the upper Nene Valley and to the north-east towards the western and southern suburbs of Northampton.
The main historical features of the village are a manor house built in 1540, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, which celebrates its eight hundredth anniversary in 2006, and a number of listed buildings.
There are just over 200 households in the parish, of which all but a few are in the village itself. There are just over 500 residents and employment within the parish is small, being provided by the farms, the stables, the boarding kennels, the care home, the public houses and the garage but there are a significant number of self-employed residents, some of whom work from home.
The village is well served; it has a church, a village hall, a school, a garage, two public houses, an active Neighbourhood Watch scheme, public transport, daily newspaper delivery and a magazine, Gayton News, which is published four times a year. Mobile facilities include a milkman, a butcher, a fishmonger, a grocer, a greengrocer, a library and a hairdresser.
Leisure activities within the village include adult education classes, an allotment society, horse-riding, cricket, table tennis, an Evergreens group and dining and socialising in the two public houses. There are a number of marinas nearby, which provide the opportunity to cruise on the Grand Union canal, which is also used for fishing. http://www.gayton-northants.co.uk