Alderton lies midway between the A5 at Paulerspury and the A508 at Grafton Regis, approximately 4 miles from Towcester. There is good access to Northampton and Milton Keynes, both with main line rail stations. Primary education is at nearby Paulerspury with secondary education available in nearby Deanshanger and Sponne school in Towcester. A good range of shopping facilities can be found in Towcester, Milton Keynes and Northampton. Access to the M1 junction 15 is approximately 5 miles with the M40 some 10 miles to the West.
The 2001 data is grouped with the nearby village of Grafton Regis and showed there were 248 people living in both villages, 134 male, 114 female, in 94 dwellings, the majority of these being in Grafton Regis. In 2009 the estimated population of Alderton itself was 109.
Alderton is on the southern ridge of the valley of the River Tove which flows east between the village and Stoke Bruerne to the north. Stoke Bruerne church and Stoke Park Pavilions are clearly visible in the distance.
There is evidence of settlement at Alderton in the Iron Age. Later the Romans built major roads includingWatling Street, the A5, only 0.5 miles (0.8 km) southwest of the village. Domestic Roman artifacts have been found and large villas and farming communities were established nearby. The nearest known Roman villa was the Piddington Roman Villa at the village of Piddington, about 6 miles (9.7 km) away. Iron Age, Roman and Saxon artifacts have been found on The Mount.
Alderton became a larger Saxon settlement and a Saxon burh is thought to have stood on the high ground and would have included the Mount site. The village lies on what was the frontier between the Saxon kingdoms of the south and the Danelaw in the north.
The 1066 Norman Conquest saw the development of the ringwork castle in the form visible today. This was one of the strongholds owned by Robert, Count of Mortain the half-brother of William the Conqueror. It was an imposing earthwork hastily constructed to form part of the defense William's new kingdom. Twenty years later, the Domesday Book entry for Alderton shows the name as "Aldrintone" and the Earl of Ferrers as the local lord and lists land for 8 ploughs.
Recent archaeological research points to the castle being abandoned in the latter half of the 14th century. This was at the time of the Black Death when there appears to have been a sharp reduction in the local population as elsewhere in Britain. Alderton came under the control of the Manor of Stoke Bruerne.
Alderton was a very small community throughout the 14th and 15th centuries. By 1541 King Henry VIII had included the village within the Honour of Grafton. The village population grew in the latter half of the 16th century with the arrival of William Gorges, a nobleman from a distinguished aristocratic line. Gorges built a very large mansion house with landscaped gardens. Through the marriage of Gorges' daughter Frances to Thomas Hesilrige, the Manor House passed to the Heselrige family. In 1605, Queen Anne of Denmark stayed at Alderton Manor and in 1608 King James I visited and knighted Thomas Hesilrige who later became a baronet. Hesilrige's son Sir Arthur Hesilrige, 2nd Baronet, a close ally of John Pym and Oliver Cromwell and one of the Five Members, was Lord of the Manor in 1655.
By the early 18th century the village was a thriving agricultural community. The Manor House was demolished and its site was occupied by a substantial farm, known as Manor Farm. The village population remained small and largely involved in agriculture. Recently, it has changed character and is now a dormitory settlement for professional people; it is also a conservation area.
This is the remains of a ring work castle which is now overgrown with trees. The earthworks are still in a good state of preservation and comprise an area of about 2 acres (8,100 m2). The ditch is 5 metres deep in parts and still fully accessible. The internal area of the castle has some slightly raised areas interpreted as building platforms.
The Mount is open to the public; however, there is very little parking in Alderton other than on the main road. Take care climbing the steep steps up to the top of the ring works and on the steep slopes at the sides. Please respect the privacy of the adjoining properties.
Church of St Margaret
The building dates from 1522–1528 and later 1848. There is a monument to Sir William de Combermartin (d.ca.1318)